Friday, June 13, 2003
Peter Rosberg is a friend of mine who had oral cancer recently, and went through a pretty tough operation to remove it. He seems to be doing better... hope so. He's a good soul, and he deserves a long full life :)
I hadn't been in touch with him in awhile, but I had dinner with another friend Karen Marcelo and she gave me the skinny. Karen and I used to work together with a bunch of other geek friends of mine at a company called Marathon Systems. Karen is always a surprising person to spend time with. She's never quite what you expect... and that makes it fun.
Back to Peter -- Peter and I met in Japan when we were both speaking at a conference, and we became friends. He also helped me save my startup company once upon a time, so I probably owe him a favor or two. I just read his blog tonight, and it was very sobering.
It's strange how sometimes you fall out of touch with people who have such an impact on your life. You feel a bit guilty for not being in contact with them more often. But then also as you get older you end up with a rather large number of people you've been friends with, and it can be a challenge to keep up with a few hundred folks. I guess I just try to enjoy life and the time I get to spend with those people when you see them :)
---
oh yeah. i bought a new car today. it's the first time i've ever bought a NEW car new. a few times a bought a 1-year old car, but most of the time i've bought used cars with a few years and several thousand miles on them. seems extravagant to buy a new car off the lot, but at least i did some homework and used this CarBargains service to get competitive bids. worked out pretty well. it's a material pleasure i know, but every once in a while it's ok to enjoy getting a new car :)
---
also went to the SDForum Visionary event tonight. it was really inspiring to hear these accomplished entrepreneurs, particularly when the valley is so gloomy these days. and I was glad to see Kamran Elahian get an award -- he seems like such a great person. also really said some powerful stuff about America and recent changes in how we deal with the rest of the world, our fear vs our leadership. certainly makes you think... and makes you glad people like him are still here in Silicon Valley.
posted by Dave 6/13/2003 12:47:00 AM
